Friday, January 21, 2011

The Follies of Youth

As I have mentioned before, during my High School days I converted from Episcopalianism to Paganism. At the time I took this somewhat seriously, and outfitted myself with all of the usual trappings...including regularly wearing pentagrams and other pagan symbols. I remember being asked several times if I was Jewish, which always made me facepalm. Seriously, who doesn't know the difference between a Star of David and a Pentagram? What really annoyed me though, was people asking me if I knew what my necklace meant or if I was just wearing it because it was pretty. How condescending! How dare they imply that I was so vapid and shallow as to wear a symbol without any grasp of its meaning!

Currently, my pentagrams have been relegated to the bottom of my jewelry box and really only come out when I'm dressing up for Goth Night. However, there is a necklace from my Pagan days I found recently and started wearing again. A few days ago, a friend of mine asked me what it meant. Now I am certain I knew at one point, but I had completely forgotten. I was wearing it because it was pretty. Don't you just love those moments when you realize how much of a self-important twat you were in high school? I sure do.

Incidentally, the symbol is a Unicursal Hexagram, but I plan to continue wearing it regardless of its meaning. Because it's pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment